Wednesday, April 06, 2005

The saga of my poor M2 continues. Must thank Vince, Anthony, Weng and Amy for their advice and assistance yesterday in getting me on the next step after a bang-up.

From Vince, I learned about the Independent Damage Assessment Centre (IDAC) at which the inspection of the damage to the accident vehicle seems quite thorough. The closest centre to the College was at Braddell so I drove over with Weng accompanying me.

There, the inspector wrote up a long list of problems that had to be repaired. Looks like the back gate and the bumper have to be replaced, amongst other things, so the damage was worse than I thought. It was bad enough to make my back door unopenable.

On the admin side I had to make a report on how the accident occurred and I was judged to be not at fault. My insurance is with NTUC, as was the errant truck driver's. NTUC's position in such a case is that since I was not at fault, I could claim for the damage under my own policy without affecting my premiums in subsequent years.

IDAC appointed a mechanic early today so I drove back to IDAC Braddell and left the M2 there. Poor thing, being hospitalized already. This time, Anthony drove with me so he could give me a lift to Tampines Mall where I received my courtesy car (it was either this or a transport claim worth up to $50 per day) from NTUC Income.

So I still have wheels while the M2 stays in the workshop. It's an old auto-drive Toyota Soluna, a saloon model so I have to get used to the length when parking. It may be old, but it's quite well-maintained by an attendant who seems to take great pride in keeping his rental cars spotlessly clean.

The Soluna drives quite well, considering its age. The brakes and the accelerator feel a bit stiff and the engine is noisy -- something else I need to get used to -- but I think it still has some power to spare though I haven't exactly been testing its performance today. It feels retro-mechanical compared to the M2 but it should be ok for my needs until my baby comes home.

No comments: