Tuesday, September 27, 2005

"Cock" and "Lock." 2 words that I had all but forgotten over the last month in competition and in training. I had kept on diagnosing and re-diagnosing the problem I've been having with my wild throws: change standing position, change aiming point, change angle of attack, whatever... and almost every time, my throw will still go off in every which direction, and I have been pretty moody about it for a while already.

This evening's practice took me back to the basics. Pick standing position... centre self... focus eyes on target area... control breathing... COCK wrist... push-off (not too far)... walk up... swing back (also not too far)... genuflect... LOCK wrist on the downswing till release... point thumb at precise target area and follow through... let balancing arm do it's thing intuitively. 2 very simple steps in the procedure makes all the difference between a good throw and crap.

I followed this procedure on my last 2 practice games -- and scored a personal high of 209!!! Finally broke the 200 barrier, and earned a "clean game" and "high game" citation for my lane as well. Current mood: euphoric.

Team Manager, Amy, expressed concern about me peaking too early. The last game of the season is on Thursday and therefore a very bad time to slump again so, no. Must continue to focus, concentrate and not get complacent. Yes, ma'am, we'll end the season memorably!

Of course, the great tragedy about Thursday's game is that Amy won't be replacing Anthony after all. We thought the game was on last Thursday when Anthony was in Brussels, so Yee had got her all prepared with intensive training all week. But Anthony will be rejoining the team this week so the Gutter Boyz will still be together one last time this year. Amy's training hasn't been for nothing, though. She's since picked up her game to the 130s (give or take the occasional inconsistent 90+ games) and is still working hard to be a true contender. Maybe she'll consider joining us as a player next year? How 'bout it, ma'am?

No comments: