Monday, May 21, 2007

Spent another day on sick leave. Woke up to a schnozz clogged up with liquid snot, causing lots of heavy breathing, not of the good sort. Meds ran out over the weekend and the nasal passages were letting me know that fact, no mistake.

Doc seems to think if I've had no history of asthma, I shouldn't be getting it now. I didn't know it was a strictly childhood condition. He sent me for an x-ray, just to be safe. Thankfully, the results only confirmed that I have bigger lungs than than the radiologist had set the machine for. Needed a second shoot to get all my lungs in the frame. Heh. People tend to underestimate my size, me too sometimes. I'm not a big guy, but I'm bigger than I look. Larger-than-life.

Had time to look at the papers today. Looks like Dubai's moving in a big way towards a knowledge-based economy with a humongous $15b private donation to education, while China's drawing in Ivy-league eggheads to develop its creative innovation sector. I must be taking on the right subject, then. KI seems to be where the future is headed -- if only people would stop treating it like it was still an old-school study-memorize-regurgitate type deal. The old, traditional ways still command too much respect. New wine, old wineskin. What to do?

The trees are having a field day assasinating our fellow countrymen and women. They've finally had enough of us cutting them down to make way for new infrastructure and they're hitting back with suicide attacks. The victims suffer through no fault of their own, though. Wrong place, wrong time. Beware, folks, the trees are on the rampage!

Funny that Malaysian politicians are debating our involvement in the IDR. I would think their position on the situation would be quite clear to them: our adik will put their money into our project, we say "terimah kasih," they balik kampong to their little red dot, everybody happy. What's so difficult about that?

Outward Bound Singapore is 40 years old. I remember being drafted by my venerable old institution to go on a 5-day 'adventure' course with them. Was it fun? Yes, I learned to sail a dinghy, fly on the flying fox, and abseil down a rocky cliff. All the time I wanted to go, "again! again!" But there were so many other of my fellow adventurers with me there was only time for 1 ride each. The hardest part of the camp: waiting in line to go once on a ride. Pretty much like staying in a coaster theme park for 5 days in summer. Every queue starts at the "45 minutes from this point" marker.

Man, I sound old and cranky. Must be the meds talkin'.

No comments: