Wednesday, December 08, 2010

A coffee, an e-book and thou

Sitting at a neighbourhood Starbucks takin' it easy with my Tab as an e-book reader. It feels a bit self-referential reading Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything". It's all about me, and you, but from a vast historical, scientific (in all its myriad branches), geological and cosmological perspective.

I'm like taking forever to get to the end, but it's a story that spans all of the beginning of time and the 4.5 plus billion years for life on Earth to get here, so I should be entitled to ooze my way through the chapters.

But this entry isn't a book review. Just an observation that having an e-book reader means having almost the entire library of materials published or otherwise shared by humanity compactly placed in my pocket. It's an idea I haven't stopped gushing over yet.

True, there are limits like access, though cheap, still costs money; and maximum memory storage is only(!) 32gb, but still that can contain a LOT of books already. But toting around a Tab for an e-reader also gives me access to other distractions, like what I'm doing now, as and when I want to vary my media indulgences.

Oh, and the other reason why I've gone with the Tab, NBS, is because it's a size that is pocket-portable enough and yet with screen real estate large enough for my ageing eyes to view text without having to keep scrolling all the time.

2 comments:

MoB said...

first you have to find a source of good ebooks. i still wish the kindle and amazon's resources are available to us.

xmac2006 said...

true. kobo on android is rather limited compared to its competitors. still, it has a decent enough collection.