Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Subject combo talk for KI today must have been quite funny to watch if a movie camera had been pointed at the audience from behind my shoulder. Apparently, when I start talking about something I've prepared, I can seem to go on forever. I had been given a 10 minute slot, but my spiel ended up "way over the time limit" according to official feedback. The camera would have picked up lots of hand signals from the peanut gallery where the staff were sitting as various colleagues would have been gesticulating frantically for me to cut, cut, cut it short. But wrapped up in the excitement of having a cordless mike in my hand, and focused on the crowd of newbie students, I kept going like the Energizer bunny.

Scary thing is, I may have oversold myself and KI. At the Q&A session, a lot more students approached me with questions about the new subject than I was prepared for. There is a limit to the number of students I can take on, though I didn't actually mention this because I wasn't quite sure I'd interest enough kids to even come close to it. I hadn't thought of the possibility of an oversubscription, yikes! Well, until tomorrow's subject selection exercise, I shouldn't speculate. And I hope that whatever I promised them today, I won't let them down if and when they do sign up.

Joined Vince and Amy in the evening on a final recce of Sentosa before the College descends upon it en masse on Thursday. We needed to see what the condition of the beach was like after the big new year's eve party. We also needed to get entry tix for a small hoarde of kids and staff in advance. Actually, that was Amy's job. I think Vince and I were just there as comic relief.

Had a good dinner at the Sakae Sushi on Siloso Beach. On weekdays, when there isn't much crowd, the conveyor belt does not function. Sushi is made fresh in the kitchen and the salmon sashimi was very fresh. Wasabe was a little flat, but the meal was enjoyable nonetheless.

No comments: