Wednesday, May 31, 2006

It was quite an experience returning to CSC in the afternoon for bowling with Amy. Some girls' school team occupied more than a quarter of the lanes. I couldn't tell if they were there to train their motor-skills or their vocal cords. The entire alley was bursting with their incessant cheering, sometimes coordinated and sometimes not. If this is how they are when they're just training, I feel sorry for their opponents in actual competition.

Sharing the next lane to us was a senior citizen. He was friendly enough to give Amy more tips to improve her technique, but he was a little disappointed at our stamina. We only lasted 5 straight games while he was ready to quit only after his 13th.

Wonder if that's the kind of retirement I'm looking forward to? Nothing to do but bowl the afternoon away. I like bowling, but I don't think I like it that much. And oddly enough, I really don't think I could face the prospect of living out my retirement alone. Maybe I'm not tired enough yet to appreciate being re-tired?

Actually, we quit to go watch "Over the Hedge" with HP and Vince. A very clever movie, I thought, about the conflicting drives a society has in a modern, high-tech world. Modern, urban living has its great promises of a more convenient lifestyle. Mostly, it has to do with having the ability to accumulate food without effort, to eat whatever we want, whenever we feel like it, and still be able to leave a mountain of waste behind after we're done.

To the people who actually need to work to eke out a hand-to-mouth existence, urban living promises an unimaginable paradise. But the cost of such a lifestyle is high: people become selfish, suspicious of each other, use each other for their own personal gains, and ultimately the trust that ties a society together breaks down.

Ooh, ooh... and the NE guy in me also sees in the movie a tiny little community surrounded by 1) neighbours with high fences, and 2) the need to interact with them somehow, 3) with ingenuity, innovation, adaptability, and tenacity in order to survive. And yet, in overcoming the threats and dangers we face, we must never forget that our social bonds and family ties are the only things that make our society hold any meaning for us, whether we succeed or fail.

Oh, btw, the movie was hilarious too, despite all the NE talk. Go watch!

No comments: