Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A day with no car

M2's in the shop diagnosed with a faulty brake switch. I'm not sure what that means, exactly, other than that it's put me out of a car for a day, thus having to rely on public transport for a change.

Which is to say I took the MRT to work in the morning. Left at the same time as I would have if I were driving -- and arrived earlier too! Not just a little bit earlier, but I-can-eat-breakfast earlier. Impressive.

Because I left home early, the crowd situation at the station was not too bad and the trains arrived well within five minutes of wait time. And it was pretty much the same when I finally decided to come home at the end of the day.

Of course, if this keeps up and eventually deprives me of my own wheels, it is not as inconceivable to take public transport as I had imagined. I get a brief workout walking to and from the stations. The journey is quite fast and not unpleasant. At least, it would be until people start taking advantage of the harebrained free MRT ride before 0745 hrs scheme. (Note that it's 'harebrained' because if I were an early commuter, at some point the idea is bound to inconvenience me somehow).

Regardless, I'll be glad to collect M2 from the shop in the morning.

No comments: