Monday, June 19, 2023

BxMxC (the x's are silent)


We're now smack in the middle of the KL setlist, arguably where the most fun songs in the repertoire are. The energy skyrockets with fan-favourite 'BxMxC', a metal hip-hop rap battle. Pardon me if I leave my brain out of this one, and just jump with the beat, shouting along to the 'B! M! C!' chant, since there's no way I can match SU's spittin', even if I knew Japanese.

I imagine a scenario in which SU is having a heated debate with her Other, but she is monopolizing all the airtime, while the Other can't get a word in edgeways. Her upward inflections at the end of every line in the pre-chorus suggests that she ain't done talking yet, so just shut up and listen, yo! The choreo is aggressive, featuring lots of restrained kicks and sweeping punches. It's clear they've conquered and assimilated hip-hop, with SU throwin' down some acapella bars in the final verse for good measure.

The video I chose to feature above is their performance for TV broadcast on NHK. I feel that the official MV contains an unnecessary storytelling element, and that their 'live' shows are much better at showcasing their newer music. This video also features a short interview with SU and MOA, so I thought I'd let the ladies speak a bit, and introduce themselves for a change.

No comments: