Friday, June 30, 2023

The End... or the beginning?


A sudden, unexpected drop of new music from BABYMETAL just a few hours ago today. The girls feature in 'The End' by Lil Uzi Vert, a rap/hip hop artist of whom I am unfamiliar. The clip above is not a video, so it's hard to tell if all 3 METALS are involved in providing the chorus to this track.

This track sounds highly experimental in the attempt to merge hip hop with metal. The greater commitment is towards metal with a variety of electronic sound effects thrown into the mix. To me it sounds like a kid in a candy store making the noise of a bull in a China shop as he grabs everything he can carry because he can afford it all. Very enthusiastic.

BABYMETAL, themselves, sound completely manic, making me wonder if their vocals have been sped up. Their lyrics are sharp and clear, regardless, their voices cutting through the metal as always. The melody is cutesy, but the tempo makes me feel like I've had way too much coffee than is good for me. 'The End' ends with a music box, a sudden and jarring break from the metal, probably as an acknowledgement to the 'babies', which I thought felt more patronizing than appreciative.

It's nice of BABYMETAL to help a brother out ('brother' in reference to the generic expression, rather than to a specific gender) in exploring a fresh direction for his (their?) music. We are seeing some baby steps in Lil Uzi Vert's first attempts at distinguishing himself (themselves?) from within a highly competitive market, and we wish him (them?) all success in this bold new endeavor. Apologies for the parentheses. Lil Uzi self-refers in the plural but, linguistically, it's hell to wrap my pre-evolved boomer brain around.

Since this is my raw, initial reaction, let's just say that 'The End' (feat. BABYMETAL) will take some patience and several re-listens before I decide if I would put it in my playlist.

No comments: