Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Lingering for lox


Went for my semi-annual teeth cleaning. They do a very thorough job, getting right into the crevices to eradicate food debris and stuff. So with a little guilt (and no prior breakfast) I sought out the nearest available nosh and the M&S cafe was it. Time to put back what the dental hygienist had taken out.

I immediately gravitated to the salmon and cream cheese bagel without thinking about it. My mouth already tasted bloody from the oral scouring not 10-minutes earlier, and I worried that the bagel might be so well toasted that every bite would erupt into shrapnel, as I've experienced in other places before.

Thankfully, the bagel here was soft and fluffy, with a light, super-fragile crust for the tiniest crunch. The salmon (lox) came in a generous portion, complementing the cream cheese -- an unusual combination, but somehow it works. The sandwich (?) included lettuce, dill and a pickle slice, subtly sweet-sour, adding a fresh flavour to every mouthful.

The cappuccino was milky and smooth going down. Good for sipping while people-watching, but because parking was expensive in the area, I couldn't hang around as long as I would've liked.

No comments: