Thursday, June 15, 2023

Iine -- how many songs can we squeeze into one?


Iine was the third song on the KL playlist. It is both a throwback to the band's earliest days, and also to immediately bring the party to us as soon as the intros are out of the way. It's not canon, but I like to think this dance club is where the girls emerged out of the pit in 'Doki Doki Morning', explaining their difficulty waking up for school. They are, after all wearing the same clothes from the rave the night before.

Early BABYMETAL -- free from constraints of expectation -- experimented like crazy with a variety of sound mixes, styles, and instrumentation. Crude, compared to the band's current genre-blending sophistication, Iine mixes specific genres sequentially, beginning with a manic electronica rave, transitioning to 80's hip hop, then reminding us that death metal is still at the core of its music, and back to the rave party we started with. It's like listening to several different songs one after another, though it's really just one song. That's one way to get value for money, I guess.

More importantly, this performance shows how versatile the girls and the band are in owning each genre in terms of vocal quality, body language, and choreography (behind the scenes too, with camera work, and lighting) like they actually belong. Already we see full and total commitment to their craft even in these early stages. I can only imagine how much work they had put in to develop this level of confidence and stage presence at this young age.

And can I say that, normally, kids irritate the heck out of me? Playing and pretending are what they do, and they do it so badly! I'm like ewww... get them away from me! Not these kids. They aren't playing. They are absolutely respectable artists in their field and this, to me, is what makes them truly adorable. This is also why I don't and never will have kids of my own. My standards are too high.

No comments: